aftermath of the Chelyabinsk meteorite, thanks jesus-h-science
I have the first one on a poster above my bed thanks to my dear Connor <3
ok but seriously i just made this shirt and it’s my new favourite and i’m never taking it off i apologise that it’s really blurry but ugh its amazing
”SAGAN GET OFF MY IRON”
"NO, JESSICA, IF YOU CAN’T READ STEP 2 HOW DO YOU EXPECT TO UNDERSTAND THE UNIVERSE"
i was looking for ‘the solar system real images’ and this came up
it’s almost as bad as that time when i was looking for pictures of the planets all together and this came up
The most astounding fact is the knowledge that the atoms that comprise life on Earth the atoms that make up the human body are traceable to the crucibles that cooked light elements into heavy elements in their core under extreme temperatures and pressures. These stars, the high mass ones among them went unstable in their later years they collapsed and then exploded scattering their enriched guts across the galaxy guts made of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen and all the fundamental ingredients of life itself. These ingredients become part of gas cloud that condense, collapse, form the next generation of solar systems stars with orbiting planets, and those planets now have the ingredients for life itself. So that when I look up at the night sky and I know that yes, we are part of this universe, we are in this universe, but perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the Universe is in us. When I reflect on that fact, I look up – many people feel small because they’re small and the Universe is big – but I feel big, because my atoms came from those stars. There’s a level of connectivity. That’s really what you want in life, you want to feel connected, you want to feel relevant you want to feel like a participant in the goings on of activities and events around you That’s precisely what we are, just by being alive…
Top Ten Infrared Space Pictures
1. Helix Nebula. A newly expanded image of the Helix Nebula (pictured) is one of the ten infrared pictures chosen by scientists to celebrate the thousand days that the Spitzer Space Telescope has been working past its retirement date. Image courtesy J. Hora, HSCfA, W. Latter, Herschel, and Caltech/NASA
2. Mountains of Creation. An infrared photograph of the star-forming region W5, aka the Mountains of Creation (pictured), was taken before Spitzer’s coolant ran out. Image courtesy L. Allen, HSCfA, and Caltech/NASA
3. See-Through Sombrero. At visible wavelengths, the Sombrero galaxy is a fuzzy white ball encircled by a black-rimmed ring of dust. Yet in infrared (pictured), the dust glows with splendor. Image courtesy R. Kennicutt, U. Arizona, and Caltech/NASA
4. Cygnus Constellation. This close-up of the Cygnus constellation was the very first picture taken after Spitzer ran out of coolant in 2009. Image courtesy Caltech/NASA
5. Trifid Nebula. One of the more striking objects in the visible-light sky is the Trifid Nebula.Image courtesy J. Rho, SSC/Caltech/NASA
6. Ancient Galaxies. Spitzer is widely known for its see-through views of nebulae, the Milky Way, and nearby galaxies, but it was also designed to peer back in time-possible because of the time it takes light to travel from distant objects to reach Earth. Image Courtesy Spitzer Space Telescope
One more for the Astronomy Team
today i went out and brought 9 polystyrene balls, paint and a paintbrush which all came up to about $30 and this is the result! (excluding lacquer and rings on 2 planets)
- the solar system
- what i had at the start
IS JUPITER EVIL?
The gas giant is widely regarded as Earth’s protector — but this may only be half of the story.
- Using its gravitational dominance to ‘vacuum’ errant space rocks, Jupiter is often hailed as Earth’s protector.
- However, it is known that comets’ orbits have been modified by Jupiter’s gravity, sending them our way.
NGC-2207 and IC-2163 Colliding Spiral Galaxies
The Hubble Space Telescope has captured many amazing Universe pictures such as the one shown above. The above picture shows the NGC-2207 spiral galaxy about to collide and merge with the IC-2163 spiral galaxy. However don’t assume that this collision and merger will be over in the blink of an eye. It is estimated that the two spiral galaxies will take about 1 billion years to merge and form an elliptical galaxy! NGC-2207, the larger galaxy will pull out stars and other stellar material from IC-2163, the smaller galaxy. These two galaxies are about 80 million light years away from the Earth in the direction of the Canis Major constellation. Universe pictures of colliding galaxies attracted a lot of attention when they were first released.